04 5 / 2011
BonBons for Bonnie
One of my closest friends had her first child a year ago. She’s the first of our friends group to have a baby. I can’t even imagine how hard that would be. When she was about 4/5 months she told me the name she chose, Bonnie. I rubbed her belly and told BonBon how excited I am to meet her. Well now that its a year later, I decided I wanted to make the beautiful Bonnie some BonBons for her first birthday.
Well, it seemed easy. Right. Easy. I made the vanilla ice cream in an ice cream maker. Okay yes, that was pretty easy. But then I went to make the BonBons. I melted the chocolate, and every time I went to dip the Ice cream scoops, I’d make it to two and have to re-temper the chocolate. But the cream in the chocolate made it near impossible so I had to start over. 6 Bonbons in and I decided that was enough. Good thing we broke them out at the end of the party, with just 6 people left in the room!
I wish they came out better, but I’ll definitely try again… And it seemed Bonnie preferred pizza anyway!
Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1 eggs
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whisks eggs and place in a heavy saucepan.
- Add in sugar, salt, whipping cream and half-and-half.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick enough to coat a metal spoon and reaches as close to 180 degrees F as possible.
- Remove from the heat; cool quickly by setting pan in ice and stirring the mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or freeze immediately.
- When ready to make ice cream, pour custard and vanilla into the cylinder of an ice cream freezer.
- Freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- 6 ounces of chocolate
- Ice Cream
- Place parchment paper on a cookie sheet
- Scoop ice cream in to small round balls (I did them too big…)
- Put them into the freezer so they set
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler
- Remove from heat
- Take sheet of ice cream scoops out of the fridge
- Quickly use two forks to dip and full coat in chocolate
- Return to fridge before it starts to melt
I had to re-temper the chocolate every two scoops or so but perhaps a heating pad or something would keep it warm.
Permalink 7 notes