16 4 / 2011
Tripple Layer Carrot Cake
In my opinion, this carrot cake is probably the most amazing cake for a birthday. Some find the icing a little two sweet, but it’s cream cheese frosting. So yeah, its going to be sweet. I made this as part of Phil’s Arty Bday Party. He was celebrating it with Anaelle. You’ll notice an extra ‘N’ on the cake. She was polite enough to not mention anything but I was really upset when I realized my mistake. Otherwise, the cake was really well received.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated carrot
- 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 (3 1/2-ounce) can flaked coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Line 3 (9-inch) round cake pans with wax paper; lightly grease and flour wax paper. Set pans aside.
- Stir together Flour, Baking Soda, Salt and Cinnamon
- Beat eggs, butter milk, Vegetable Oil, Vanilla and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add flour mixture, beating at low speed until blended.
- Fold in carrot, and Coconut.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pans.
- Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Upon taking out of the oven, bring sugar, baking soda, buttermilk, butter, and corn syrup to a boil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Boil, stirring often, 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla.
- Drizzle Buttermilk Glaze evenly over layers; cool in pans on wire racks 15 minutes.
- Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
- Once cakes are cool, beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Spread Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake.
06 4 / 2011
NSFW Boobie Birthday Cake
I made my brother a surprise birthday cake and gave it to him at one of his favorite monthly parties called Nasty Monday’s. It is this insanely fun weekly party in Barcelona and a monthly event in New York City at (le) Poisson Rouge. The point of this cake was to embarrass him and I think he loved every minute of it. But I also loved every minute of making it.
I started off with the chocolate cake and found that it took a while to finish. I took it out to early and thought I ruined it, but I put it back in. I included a photo of the chocolate so you can see what the icing was hiding! Then my grandmother surprised me. Well, I just came out and said what I was making and her response, ‘Oh, how cute!’ She then went on to ask, ‘What are you using for nipples?’
I may need therapy but together we found some pastilles that were perfect. She watched me frost the cake and taught her about a crumb layer where I do one layer of frosting set it in the fridge and then the second layer of frosting was clean without crumbs. Needless to say, I make my grandmother proud.
The best part about this cake, is that people were shocked at how good it tastes!
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cupolive oil
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 1/4 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 cups cold water
- 16 ounces cream cheese
- 4 ounces butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2-2 lbs powdered sugar
- 2 small pastilles
- yellow food coloring
- red food coloring
- green food coloring
Prep Time: 30 mins
Total Time:. 1 1/4 hr
Permalink 1 note