03 6 / 2011
Buttermilk Poundcake Pie with Strawberry Rhubarb
As part of the memorial day feast I made a constructed dessert and needed a little pound cake. (That’s coming soon). I had a LOT of left over batter and Strawberry- Rhubarb compote so I baked it in a pie pan. I chose a pie pan mostly because I didn’t have a loaf pan where I was but none the less it came out really nice.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 3 cups white sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease one 9 round pan.
- Mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter with sugar.
- Mix in the eggs, one at time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in the lemon and the vanilla extract.
- Gently mix in flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 90 minutes.
- Do not open oven door until after one hour. When cake begins to pull away from the side of the pan it is done. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
Rhubarb- Strawberry Compote
- 2 pounds strawberries, halved if large
- 1 pound rhubarb, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 3/4 teaspoon grated lime peel
- Place 1 1/2 pounds strawberries and rhubarb in medium pot.
- Mix in sugar, ginger, lime juice, and peel
- Cook over high heat until sugar dissolves, stirring often
- Boil 4 minutes, and be sure to stir consistently
- Reduce heat to medium
- Simmer just until rhubarb is beginning to fall apart, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add in remaining strawberries.
- Chill until cold. (I did this the day before so the flavors had more time to sit.)
Permalink 9 notes