09 3 / 2011
Love Potion: Pumpkin Lavender Bread
The rumor is that Pumpkin + Lavender is an aphrodisiac. I’m not so sure if it is true, but the rumor definitely got a lot of tasters lining up!
This recipe is super easy. Though my secret was hand making the lavender sugar, the night before.
- *3 cups all-purpose flour (I used 1 cup from whole wheat pastry flour)
- *2 cups lavender sugar **recipe below**
- *1 teaspoon salt
- *2 teaspoons baking soda
- *1/2 teaspoon double-acting baking powder
- *2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- *1 15-ounce canned pumpkin
- *2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- *3 eggs, slightly beaten
- *extra dried lavender sugar crystals, for dusting
- 1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
- 2. Grease well, two 9” by 5” loaf pans.
- 3. In a large bowl, with fork, mix flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- 4. Add remaining ingredients and mix just until blended.
- 5. Pour batter into pans.
- 6. Sprinkle some dried lavender and sugar crystals on top
- 7. Bake about 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- 8. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely on racks.
(These two photos we graciously taken by Martina Fugazzotto)
- *3 Cups of Sugar (1/2 cup separated)
- *1/2 cup of dried Lavender
- 1. Place 1/2 cup of sugar and lavender in a mortar an pestle
- 2. Grind until lavender is combined and aromatic
- 3. Return lavender to 3 cups of sugar and let it sit at least over night.
Permalink 5 notes